Founded by a group of concerned citizens, the Pocono Township Volunteer Fire Co. was established on May 16th 1940 to protect the citizens and businesses from the terrible damage and destruction caused by fire.
Up until this time, Pocono Township was dependent upon the Stroudsburg Fire Department and Pocono Mountain Volunteer Fire Company its for fire protection.
George Raish was elected as the Company’s first President.
Edward Metzger was elected the Company’s first Chief, in which he faithfully served from 1940 until 1963.
Even though the company was formed in May 1940, it did not receive its first piece of apparatus until September of that year. This was a used 1931 Dodge pumper purchased for $600.00 from a Fire Company in New Jersey. Originally a chemical wagon, the current water tank was added by the fire company members to meet the needs of the area.
Old number #1, as it is affectionately called today, saw many fires in both Pocono and Jackson Townships.
The Pocono Township Volunteer Fire Company provided fire protection for Jackson Township until 1952, at which point Jackson Township residents organized the Jackson Township Volunteer Fire Company.
Old number #1 still serves us well in the various parades and events that it attends throughout the year.
Claim listing is the best way to manage and protect your business.